Addie Road

Addie Road

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Peace, Love, and Biking

Recently my bike was stolen.  I woke up one morning to neighbors pounding on our door to announce someone had broken into our old non-functional  mini van we used for storage.  Upon further investigation, we found someone had thrown a rock through the window in the night to take my bike.  Since we didn't have the serial number and I hadn't put any stickers or other easily identifiable markings on it, there was little hope of getting my bike back. 
At first I was angry, annoyed, and severely disappointed with the whole situation.  I rode my bike often, biking was one of my favorite past times.  And now it was gone.  How could someone do such a thing?  What had I ever done to them?  "Economy is bad." I kept telling myself.  "People are desperate."  Even though in my book it wasn't a legitimate excuse for stealing, it was the most probable explanation. My bike was gone now, there was nothing I could do about it.  Being bitter at the thief wouldn't accomplish anything except drain my energy. John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance" became my therapy theme song.  After that I found myself singing "...Ob la di, Ob la da, life goes on, brah! La, la how the life goes on..." the Beatles chipper tune helped perk me up.  Bike or no bike, life would go on. 
Before long I started bike searching.  I tried to view my old bike getting stolen as an opportunity to start over and get a new bike that fit my more recent style.  My old bike was white with pink flowers.  A while ago that suited me fine, but now I don't enjoy pink so much.  Perhaps now was the perfect time to re-style.  I could get a pink-free bike, and this time put lots of stickers on it so it would be simpler if it got stolen.  I began brainstorming for what type of bike I wanted and visited Loose Lucy's to peruse their bumper sticker collection. 
Soon I saw a bike on Craig's List that looked like a promising possibility.  It was a Schwinn, in my mind a good brand that would hold up well.  It wasn't pink, instead it was this cool purple tie-dyeish color. As an added plus, it was cheaper than those in stores, which would leave me extra spending money for stickers and other various upgrades I may want to add.  It fit my criteria so well, I ended up being able to buy it.    
Loose Lucy's has always been one of favorite stores.  It's artsy, unique, and I know the people there. They're really friendly, and they sell awesome merchandise.  Now they also serve as my sticker outlet.  Who knew a bike could be so fun when used as a sticker collection? 
Even though the bike-stealing incident was traumatic, I got a new bike out of it without much trouble, and it was nice to start over.  The thief must be happy they acquired a new bike, and I'm happy I have a new bike serving as a sticker collection.  So we're all happy, but I guess for future reference the moral of this story is;
Keep your bike locked up tight, get the serial number off of it, and customize it so it's easier to find if it gets stolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment